A Guide To Finding Financial Aid For Aviation Training As The Dependent Of An Active Duty Military

17 March 2017
 Categories: Education & Development, Blog


When you dream of learning to fly a plane but the often exorbitant costs of doing so and your status as a military dependent has prevented you from fulfilling that dream, it's important to learn how you might able to qualify for financial aid to help you pay for flight training. For instance, if you're a spouse or dependent of a member of the United States military, special funds for your education in a portable field may be available. Alternatively, if you meet those qualifications and your husband or parent has unused financial aid earned as the result of their military service, under some circumstances he or she may be able to transfer some or all of those funds to you. Therefore, if you are ready to learn to fly, you will benefit from the information shared below. 

MyCAA Might Be Able To Help You Pay For Acquiring Some Flying Skills And Knowledge 

As the spouse or dependent of an active-duty member of the military, excluding the Coast Guard, there are several options you should be aware of. For instance, one option is MyCAA, which is short for Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts. 

It provides up to $4,000 dollars over two years and is earmarked specifically for spouses and dependents of an active-duty member of the military who want to enter a portable career. A portable career can be particularly useful for dependents of the military since it cannot get much more portable than flying professionally.  

Post 9/11 GI Bill Recipients Might Transfer Benefits To Spouses Or Eligible Dependents

Another choice to consider if you are a dependent of the military is only an option if the military relative is your father or husband. If they were a member of the military after September 11, 2001 and did not use part or all of the monies owed them as the result of their service, they can elect to transfer some of those funds to you.

He or she will need to have served at least six years of service, be willing to sign away their rights to those funds by giving them to you, and commit to another four years of service after the transfer. It is important to note that if you are one of several dependents who could benefit from your sponsor's unused funds, he or she can divide it up in whatever portions he or she wishes to.

In conclusion, earning a pilot's license is often the culmination of a life's dream. Since doing so is frequently an expensive endeavor, it is a good idea to be aware of the information discussed above.